Friday, March 01, 2013

NGF, blur vision

You see, we started; I do not seem to understand anymore. I mean, are we confused as a nation. If am not mistaken I continue, Nigeria as a country has high number of security agencies compare to other countries, yet, Nigeria and Nigerians never had peace. And, in fact, Nigeria is rated recently as among the unsafe country in Africa (rated sixth). And the recent blow, Nigeria appeared fourteenth on the list of failed state in the world. He cuts in, I sensed your dilemma. You are just as concerned as me. His words “in a country where the safest places are not even safe; we are surely on a row with our founding mission, we are surely astray”. He flinched I asked what he will do if his apparels are dirty. Buy another one I pre-empted. Of course no he snaps, and said I will get them washed. I added, assuming you a father of three and they are not doing well in school or as you might want it, will you then multiply their number to get your next Ben Carson. He said I know where you are going, why adding to your burden when you can improve on what you have. Only want to know your view on the demand for state police I said. I knew that, he retorted. This reminds me of a very interesting story he said. I left home hurriedly on that fateful day rushing to an event in Lagos. I got to a police post and was stopped. After the check, the officer wanted something more, but I was not ready to give a dime. Reading my non-cooperative attitude, I was asked to pack to a roadside. “Oga, wey your particulars”. I handed over the complete particulars. I observed he was fidgeting and squinting through the documents as if he was looking for an offence to charge me with. But because I was late for my destination, I moved closer to the officer to see if I could persuade him to let go. Sucker! I found that he actually turned the driving licence upside down pretending to be reading it! Mess!!! I hope, just hope this is not what the Governor’s forum wants to be replicated. Perhaps, the unemployment that cannot be solved through developmental projects is being channeled by recruiting clowns carrying guns they merely know their uses. No wonder they are using civilians as the dart board for training; these they termed accidental discharges. Apart from perhaps few sates, how many states can effectively manage the so called state police if granted when, in fact, some states are still battling with minimum wage. I can only say the situation has confused Nigeria Governors Forum for them to be demanding for state police. We must ask ourselves, is the state police going to be of different orientation and efficiency from what is currently obtained, have they considered the option of making the current security architectures stronger before venturing into adding more burden, have they asked and answered the question of politicising our security settings, and how can state police be effective in the current political estrangement when the incumbent use all to retain power, and what is the current capacity of the Nigeria Police Force compared to the country’s population. There are endless questions upon questions to be asked. It was not too long ago I saw a clip (one of the evidences) used by the current governor of the state of Osun where the ousted governor was instructing and, at the same time lashing the head of federal security agencies in the state for not being hash on the opponent. I was imagine what such a regime would do if he has absolute control of such body. Frankly speaking, the call for state police is an invitation to Armageddon. The explanation and justification given by the Governors Forum do not just add. The intervention fund for security you are demanding for is incongruous when there are people that cannot afford a cup Garri. The current JEG administration budgeted more than ever for security, yet, it is the bloodiest era in Nigeria apart from civil war. Please note that Nigeria and Nigerians do not need more people carrying weapons, what we need as a country is more people with food in their belly, good governance, and egalitarian society. Apologies but, NGF has a blur vision. What happens to strengthen the existing institutions, training the officials on latest crime combative techniques, recruiting qualified personnel, better equipment, service condition and enticement like insurance, enhancing community vigilante groups, not the least, sound education for the ignoramus and engaging the youth in productive works. If the agitation is truly on security, NGF should look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment